i married the swooniest man alive.
2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
i didn't make any last year that i can recall right now, but i am certainly developing a lost of expectations of myself for the next year, which i'm going to be posting on here.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
my cousin madison, who i grew up next to and is closer to me than a sister, gave birth to the first baby of our generation, willow olivia goodrich. she is truly breathtaking.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
i can thankfully say no.
5. What countries did you visit?
dan and i went to grand cayman, cozumel, honduras, and belize on our honeymoon. grand cayman was my favorite.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
more nerve to stand up for myself, and the chance to continue my education.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
March 22: our wedding. June 28th: our reception. August 14th: Willow's birth. September 28th: the day we left for our honeymoon.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
thriving in new york for another year.
9. What was your biggest failure?
trying to build up my credit. this seems to be an impossible task.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
some colds here and there, which are part of my job as a nanny. otherwise, i've been very lucky this year!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
my new macbook, who i have named olive gomerrybuttons. she's a dream!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Both mine and my husband's. We have come through almost an entire year of marriage, and we make a really incredible team. we're both learning so much about how to love each other and people around us, and we help each other so much. i'm so proud of him for making the decison to start medical school and following through, and succeeding during his first semester, and i'm proud of myself for working harder than i've ever worked in my life and still keeping up with everything else. i love you, bear!
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
we've had our issues with some people, but nothing that wasn't resolved and improved.
14. Where did most of your money go?
RENT. ugh. bills in general.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
getting the puppy, the wedding, the receptions, the honeymoon, and CHRISTMAS!
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Mr. Violin and Dancing Bear, by Page France
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? oh so much happier, though last year i was pretty wildly happy, too.
b) thinner or fatter? a little thinner, woo hoo!
c) richer or poorer? slightly better off.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
spent time with family, saved money, and rested.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
working, hands down. i can't believe how much of this year was spent at work, or commuting to and from work.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Christmas morning we opened presents with dan's dad who stayed with us, then in the evening we made a HUGE dinner for our friends who were stuck in nyc for the holidays, and it was amazing.
22. Did you fall in love in 2008?
I was already in love. I am lucky.
23. What concerts did you attend this year?
too many to even count. lots of stationary set shows, jeff taylor shows, one decemberists show, and tons of others sprinkled here and there.
24. What was your favorite TV program?
House. and dan and i made our way through the entire 6 feet under series, so we were obsessed with that for a while.
25. Do you dislike anyone now that you didn't dislike this time last year?
no. if anything, i like more people now than i did last year.
although, dan's ex girlfriend, who i didn't like simply on principal, moved in downstairs this summer, and became my best friend. that's kind of nuts.
26. What was the best book you read?
water for elephants.
right now i'm reading a book called then we came to the end, and i'm completed sucked into it. i love it.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
28. What did you want and get?
more pay, a new camera, a juicer, a laptop, a dog, and a husband. KACHING!
29. What did you want and not get?
a winning lotto ticket. not to say we didn't try!
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
i turned 24 on august 3rd, and i spent it with dan and my othersis, casey, who dan flew out to visit me as my birthday gift. it was marvelous. we went to my favorite restaurant for brunch and spent the day shopping in soho.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
i gave up on trying to look new york, and finally started to look katie. i feel fabulous.
34. What kept you sane?
my husband, though some days he made me insane, too. ha!
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
robert downey freaking jr. dfjakjghsldfkjghldskjgh
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
the election of barack obama, of course...but also proposition 8 in california. my stomach still hurts when i think about how far we still have to go. i can't believe america is still struggling with civil rights. which brings me to another favorite film of the year: Harvey Milk.
37. Who did you miss?
my family. oh, i miss them.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Kate, my new neighbor/bestfriend/dan's ex. haha.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Life is what you make it. Be the change you want to see in the world.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"I am humbled in this city
There seems to be an endless sea of
people like us, wakeful dreamers,
I pass them on the sunlit streets
In our rooms filled with laughter
We make hope from every small disaster
Everybody says "you can't, you can't, you can't, don't try."Carolyn
Still everybody says that if they had the chance
they'd fly like we do."
Painting By Chagall, by the Weepies
Bear, Mandy, Yeags, and Carolyn!