if dreams were lightning & thunder was desire, this old house would have burnt down a long time ago.

i'm trying to ever so sweetly remind myself that in a few years, my husband will be a doctor and all of these aburdly early mornings and ridiculously long days filled with trekking other people's children in a giant double stroller all over the city in subzero temps will be worth it.
because i'll be able to stay home.
when i wake up absurdly early, it'll be to dress my own beautiful children for school and kiss my husband goodbye as he heads to work. it'll be to sit by the window with a mug of coffee and homemade scones with jam before heading into my workshop to knit or scrapbook or make beautiful things to sell to people who love to buy beautiful things.
when my days are ridiculously long, my time will still be spent on my family, on my children, with my dog and my husband.
when i do any trekking, it'll be a city that doesn't have the ability to make me feel like i'm drowning in a sea of irritated people and LITTER.
no matter how bad my days will be on occasion, i'll still be right where i want to be, and that will make all the difference in the world.

for my own sanity, i'm going to try to fall back in love with new york, as we're still here for another year and a half.
but new york better start being a little nicer to me, or i'm going to slam my giant front door in its mean old face.

so much for not complaining.
dlkfjafkla;d

4 comments

  1. Anne on January 14, 2009 at 11:20 AM

    Hey Katie...I was curious about some things...how did you end up in New York anyways? Is Dan from there...how did you meet him? That is seriously amazing that he is in med school. Good for him. It is and will continue to be hard work and you are going to be one lucky woman one day! I wish more than anything that I could be a SAHM but the way things are looking....I am just to the point that I don't want to continue holding off on putting a family because of money....it is the compromise I have to make, I will have to continue to work. Esp. since my job pays our mortgage...haha. Anyways...just curious. I liked this entry. It just reminds me that the city isn't always all its cracked up to be. What are you plans after the next year and a half? I am sure that it will fly by...

     
  2. Anne on January 14, 2009 at 11:21 AM

    *holding off on having a family ..I stand corrected.

     
  3. DomestiKatie. on January 15, 2009 at 5:39 AM

    Anne-
    I moved to New York two years ago, to be with Dan. It wasn't too much of a gamble for me, because I had always, always wanted to live there, and this was my shot. I figured I had everything to win.
    Best decision I ever made...but I'm quickly falling out of love with it. There are days when it still takes my breath away.
    But then there are days when a homeless dude jerks off on the subway, or my dog can't go for a walk without trying to eat a chicken bone or discarded dorito bag, or it takes me an hour and a half to get to work and the subway station drips yuckwater on my head.
    Not to mention getting yelled at all of the time by every angry city person because I'm a little bit clumsy. I feel like that scene in Enchanted when she comes up out of the sewer.
    Sigh.
    Anyway, Dan went to State and we met when I was at Douglas J, but we didn't date until after he had moved here. We were reconnected by a friend, and fell crazy in love when I spent a weekend out there visiting people. I moved there a month later, and a year after that he proposed.
    We have a long time until I can afford to be a stay at home mom, but at least I know that day is in our future.
    I just don't want to wait 6 or 7 more years to start my family. So we're trying to work all that out. I want to start in 3 or 4, ideally.
    We are moving to Lewisburg, West Virginia after this, for school for Dan. He's going to be attending West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine, once he's done with the program at NYU.
    And I hope it flies.
    I'm ready for trees in my backyard and stars in my night sky.

     
  4. Anne on January 15, 2009 at 11:55 AM

    Wow.
    What a great story!
    *clears throat* I am referring to how you met and moved there and got married and all of that of course...
    That really sucks about the chicken bones, Doritos bag and homeless person on the subway..sick. I never understood about the whole commute thing, I guess I refuse to spend a majority of my day going to and from work,it just seems like such a waste but if people love the city then I know it is something that you just have to do. West Virginia will be fun. You will "become the person who has the accent" there..haha. I went there one summer to go white water rafting. So. Much. Fun.
    I commend you for being able to hold out for so long on having kids. Although I very much enjoy and appreciate my time just being Chris and I and having our freedom it is something that I have wanted for two years now. And having the baby bug sucks...especially when everyone around you is having them and you are not. Someday soon...
    I know what you mean about having a backyard and all of that...we live in a little neighborhood. A nice one..but still...we now realize that our next house will be not so much "in" the city of Grand Rapids. What is Dan studying exactly, or what does he want to specialize in? Chris is finishing up getting his BSW right now and then will get his masters. Seems like it is taking forever....