if dreams were lightning & thunder was desire, this old house would have burnt down a long time ago.

Why is it so overwhelming to update this thing?

My life is not so exciting that I race to the computer to pour forth fountains of stories and anecdotes from my days.
but it is not so quiet or dull that I have nothing to share.

I have a great deal to share.

I love my job.
I love.
My job.
I'm so crazy about little Miles.
He's the most precious little nugget in the universe and he has seized my whole heart in his tiny little fingers and squeezed it so hard honey is practically spilling out.
Photobucket
just look at those eyes!

Today, he wasn't feeling well.
About a week ago, his doctor decided that he might be allergic to cow's milk protein, so he was switched to soy formula for when i'm there, and his mama is on a strict no-dairy diet for when she breastfeeds.
Well, something was still wrong, if not more wrong, because where he used to just spit up all the time and have crazy gas, now he is vomiting. A lot. Everything he consumes.
So it looks like he's off the soy formula, and mama and papa now have to shell out crazy dough for this fancy hypoallergenic formula, WHICH he of course hated and then proceeded to launch all down the back of my sweater and into huge puddles on the floor.
Poor little guy.
Poor little tum.

I hope we figure this out soon.
He's such a darling when he's happy. Who doesn't want every tiny baby to be happy??

Anyway, this was a very funny way of telling you how much i love my job.
But the point is, i got puked on and i didn't mind.
i love my job because I love the family i work for and I love the baby i care for and I love the apartment we play in and the neighborhood we walk in. I love it so much that string of baby vomit don't phase me one tiny bit.


The other great part about my job is that I actually have the energy to bake when i get home, and clean my house on the weekends. This is a very big deal to me.
I'm practicing being a good little housewife for when my husband is a doctor man and i get to make my home look pretty and keep our tummies full of delicious treats.
This might be the opposite of what every feminist wishes for me, but it's what my heart wants, more than anything in the world.
I want to be a wonderful mama, a loving wife, and a "maker of art and dinner", to borrow a phrase from Ms. Suaviloquy.

It's so close, i can smell it. In fact, I can even see the pies cooling on the windowsill...

4 comments

  1. I know we are in the minority for loving it, but... having life the old fashioned kind of way-full of cooking and cleaning and playing with babies-is so wonderful, isn't it?

     
  2. Hatkevtonin on March 2, 2009 at 9:12 PM

    if you make pies with fake sugar, I will come.

     
  3. Laura on March 4, 2009 at 11:29 PM

    do you read nie nie? there is something she said, right after her plane crash...and I think of it every day. She said how all she wanted to do was cook dinner for her family.

    Seriously. I think of this every single day. Almost posted about it tonight. I feel as if I have been told that I can be so much more than "just a housewife"...and so now that I find that "just a housewife" is what I am, it is almost like I am not good enough. But ya know what? Cooking and cleaning and caring is a lot of hard work. And it is important. And not everyone can do it. Not everyone is blessed enough to get to do it.

    I try to cook every night. And I think of Nie Nie. And I feel good knowing that I am caring for my family.

    I can tell you will be a fabulous mommy...and are already a fantastic wife.

    (you DESERVE that ring, damn it!)

     
  4. DomestiKatie. on March 5, 2009 at 7:56 AM

    i have read her blog in the past, and was also ridiculusly inspired by her strength to get up every morning and serve her family well, even in the face of so much going on in her life.
    i want to be like her, too.
    i love coming home from work and putting together a dinner that makes my husband look at me and say "i think this one is the best you've ever made."
    or surprising him in the office with cupcakes when he's been cooped up in there for hours, studying for exams (he's a med student) and seeing his eyes bug out of his head.
    i can't wait to greet my kids with cookies and milk when they come home from school, and lay in the yard with them watching clouds, knowing that when we go inside, everything will be clean and i can have all the time in the world to help them with homework or do fun crafts, or build a fort in the living room.
    i am so fortunate that i will be in a position to have this, and i'm going to embrace it.

    I DO DESERVE THAT RING!
    and i know i'll have it, one day.
    for now, the weathered one i wear reminds me of how hard we're working to get there.